We’ve had a very unusual springtime here in the Greenville area with tee shirt weather days in abundance while the cold usually associated with this month has been largely MIA. In fact, this February was the warmest since scientists have been keeping records! Along with warmer temperatures come warm weather hazards like mosquitoes.
If you have a dog mosquitoes are more than just a pesky critter that chase you off your back deck earlier in the evening than you’d like. They’re a very serious risk factor as the only known carrier of heartworm larvae.
Here are a few heartworm facts for you to chew on:
- One bite from an infected mosquito is enough to transmit this deadly parasite to your dog.
- Heartworm cases have been reported in all 50 states.
- South Carolina has a much higher frequency of heartworm infection than many other states due to it’s warm weather climate.
- Bites from infected mosquitoes result in infection virtually 100% of the time in dogs.
- Heartworm infection can dramatically reduce the length and quality of your dog’s life.
- Heartworm prevention must be given monthly, year round to guarantee effective protection.
Those are some pretty sobering facts. But the great news is this parasite is preventable using monthly heartworm preventative. There are quite a few brands to choose from and your vet can help you pick out the one that’s the best fit for you and your dog. The important thing is to pick one and then use it consistently. After all, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure!